Individuals park at the Indiana University at their own risk. IU shall not be liable for any risk, or loss of, or damage to, property of individuals, including vehicles or the contents therein, which may result from the use of parking services or facilities. Please lock your vehicle.
Policies and rules
It’s your responsibility to know:
- When you register your motor vehicle and buy a permit, you are agreeing to follow IU parking rules and Indiana traffic laws.
- Parking rules and policies exist to ensure access at all times for emergency vehicles and to promote the safety of pedestrians, cyclists, and other motorists.
- These rules are enforced at all times. Ignorance of the rules is not a valid excuse to avoid paying parking fines.
- Any vehicle violating parking rules may be towed without prior notice and stored at the owner's expense. Vehicles that appear abandoned on IU property will be disposed of according to Indiana state law.
- IU reserves the right to revoke any permit issued or prohibit purchase of a permit for the given academic year.
General parking rules
- Driving and parking motor vehicles on university property should take place only in areas designated for those purposes. All parking locations will be indicated by stall lines or bumper blocks, as well as signage.
- A vehicle is deemed parked when the vehicle is stationary, whether occupied or not.
- All curbs are considered to be “No Parking” zones unless marked otherwise. Any vehicle parked at curbs may be ticketed and towed if left unattended in these areas.
- Use of certain lots may be temporarily restricted to facilitate special events, construction, maintenance, or other unusual circumstances.
- Motorcycles must park only in designated areas.
- Parking zone designations may be revised as parking needs change.
- Signage is posted in lots with time restrictions.
Permit related rules
- All registered vehicles, including motorcycles, must display a valid permit.
- Registered vehicles must be parked in the zone corresponding to the permit displayed in the vehicle.
- The purchasing customer is responsible for all violations associated with the permit.
- Sharing parking permits is not allowed. If you give, lend, or sell your permit to someone, they are not authorized to use it and you may receive a ticket and/or be towed.
- Permits are the property of Indiana University and must be returned to Parking Operations upon separation or a change of status.
- Permits are not transferable or available for resale.
- Permit holders are responsible to destroy an expired permit. Fraudulent use of an expired permit by someone else may not relieve the original permit holder from responsibility.
- Permits will not be sold or issued to anyone who has an outstanding balance on their parking account.
Parking space rules
- All areas not designated for parking by signage are considered “No Parking” zones.
- Backing into angled parking spaces is not permitted.
- Vehicles must be parked between the lines of an established parking space. If present, bumper blocks in gravel lots designate parking spaces.
- Double parking is never allowed.
- Parallel parking on the wrong side of the street is never allowed.
- Parking on the landscape by any vehicle is never allowed.
- Spaces designated as Service Vehicle (SV) have a two-hour parking limit for all SV and Vendor (VN) permits. All marked university vehicles have unlimited parking rights in these zones.
Meter related rules
- Campus parking meters must be paid from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday. Parking meters are free from Friday at 10 p.m. until Monday at 7 a.m.
- Metered parking designated for "Visitors" may not be used by students, faculty, or staff on Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Meters must be paid regardless of any permit displayed.
- Except for cars and trucks, wheeled vehicles with gasoline engines are considered motorcycles. All motorcycles must be registered with Parking Operations and display a valid permit.
- Motorcycles may park in designated motorcycle areas or in spaces for cars corresponding to the permit displayed on the motorcycle.
- Motorcycles must only be operated on streets and not on sidewalks or pedestrian paths.
- Motorcycles may not park at bicycle racks, on sidewalks, or on the landscape. They will be towed at the owner's expense if they obstruct streets, hinder university operations, and/or damage property.