Any vehicle located on the campus that is causing a safety hazard or is considered to be a scofflaw, may be removed. Habitual offenders receiving more than 6 citations, whether paid or not, within a fiscal year are deemed to be a scofflaw and may be subject to tow. All tows will be at the owner’s expense.
The IU Office of Student Conduct will be notified following a third tow within an academic year when the vehicle is belongs to a current IU student.
If your vehicle has been towed, please contact Parking Enforcement at 812-855-9849 for recovery instructions during business hours of 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday–Thursday and 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday. IUPD can assist with recovery information afterhours and on weekends, 812-855-4111.
IU Bloomington facilitates towing through the use of external towing companies that have been contracted to provide this service by the IU Office of Procurement Services. Towing Service fees as contracted will be owed to the tow company before the vehicle can be released. Additional storage fees will be added for any car left after midnight. Unclaimed vehicles may be auctioned by the towing vendor in accordance with Indiana state law
IU Students that can show a valid CrimsonCard (IUID) may request that all fees owed to the towing vendor be billed to IU and transferred to their bursar account as a tow fee citation. Tow fee citations are not eligible for appeal.
Current Towing Fees:*
|Towing (any vehicle, day or night)||$135|
|Dolly or Winch Fee (if needed)||$35|
|Show up fee (vehicle removed on site after attached to the tow truck)||$65|
Unclaimed vehicles may be auctioned by the towing vendor in accordance with Indiana state law.
* These are fees determined by private towing vendors, and are not assessed directly by IU Parking Enforcement. Therefore, any fees assessed are not appealable.
Indiana state laws governing the movement, operation, and parking of motor vehicles apply on university property. The Office of the Dean of Students has jurisdiction over student operation of motor vehicles.
Indiana Code (IC) 21-39-5-2
The Board of Trustees of a state educational institution may regulate the traffic of the following on all real property owned, used, occupied, or controlled by the state educational institution:
- Motor vehicles
- Other vehicles
Indiana Code (IC) 21-39-5-3
Regulations adopted by the Board of Trustees of a state educational institution that are applicable to traffic and parking may include the following provisions:
- Provisions governing the registration, speed, operation, and parking; and the times, places, and manner of use of motor vehicles, bicycles, and other vehicles
- Provisions prescribing penalties for the violation of regulations. Penalties may include the following:
- Imposition of reasonable charges
- Removal and impounding (at the expense of the violator) of vehicles that are operated or parked in violation of regulations
- Denial of permission to operate vehicles on the property of the state educational institution