Sometimes citations happen
Tips for avoiding citations
If you know the parking rules and keep the following tips in mind, you'll steer clear of citations.
- Register your vehicle
If you plan to park on campus, you must register your vehicle at the Office of Parking Operations and purchase a permit.
If you have recently purchased a vehicle from a private seller, the State of Indiana requires that the seller remove the license plate from the vehicle at the time of the sale. The purchaser is responsible for obtaining a new certificate of title, registration, and license plate.
Any unpaid, non-student citation issued to either a registered or unregistered vehicle that is not paid within 90 days will be turned over to a third-party collection agency (we will send a 30-day and a 60-day billing notice).
- Watch your meter
Keep track of the time on your meter. Most campus meters allow for 40 minutes to four hours of parking.
- Park where your permit is valid
Park only in lots or garages where your permit is valid. See where to park on campus to find areas where you are authorized to park. Maps are also available from the Office of Parking Operations.
- Display your permit
Every student, staff member, and faculty member must display a valid IU parking permit when parking on campus. Hang your permit from the interior rearview mirror, facing forward.
- Look for signs
Always check posted signs for parking restrictions. Wondering what to look for? Learn about the different types of parking signs.
- Stay inside the lines
Always make sure your vehicle is parked inside—not on or over—the lines designating a legal parking space.
Who is responsible for a citation?
Responsibility for a citation depends on whether the vehicle is registered with IU Parking Operations and whether the vehicle's owner is associated with IU.
- If a vehicle is registered with IU Parking Operations:
- Fines/sanctions are the responsibility of the owner of the permit displayed on the vehicle at the time of the violation.
- If a vehicle is not registered with IU Parking Operations:
- Fines/sanctions are the responsibility of the vehicle operator if the operator (at the time of the violation) is associated with IU.
- Fines/sanctions are the responsibility of the vehicle owner as listed in state vehicle registration records if the operator (at the time of the violation) is not associated with IU.