Who is eligible to buy a student permit?
If you are enrolled in one or more credit hours and are not appointed as a faculty or staff member, you are eligible to buy a student permit.
Permits for graduate students
If you are a student on an official IU graduate contract, you are eligible for a student permit. You may also be eligible for an EM-P or EM-S permit (on a per-semester basis) if you hold one of the following titles:
- associate instructor (EM-P or EM-S permit)
- graduate assistant (EM-S permit only)
- postdoctoral fellow (EM-S permit only)
- research assistant (EM-S permit only)
- research associate (EM-S permit only)
Note: You will need to provide Parking Operations a copy of your student contract to verify your academic appointment.
The Permit pro-ration issue for the month of August, 2017. If you purchase a Summer and Fall EMP or EMS Permit, you can avoid an overlapping charge for the month of August by:
- Option 1: In Person Purchase- A student with a Summer EMP or EMS Permit that meets the eligibility criteria, can purchase a Fall EMP or EMS as early as August 1st* at the Parking Operations office and the price will be adjusted to a September 1st effective date.
- Option 2: Online Purchase - Your summer permit is valid through August 31st. A student meeting the eligibility criteria must wait until September 1st to purchase a Fall EMP or EMS Permit online to avoid overlapping charges for August. If purchased online, a 10 day temporary permit is available to print immediately which can be used until the actual permit arrives in the mail.
*Please note that a permit will not be displayed as available to you until your department has entered your appointment contract.
How do I buy a Campus Housing permit?
If you are a student with a valid housing contract with Residential Programs and Services, you can put your name on the waiting list to purchase a Campus Housing (CH) parking permit for the academic year. (Please note: The 2017-2018 school year waitlist will open March 20th, 2017.)
CH parking lots are zoned according to their location, and permits (including City Zone 7 permits) are sold in each zone by seniority based on your housing priority date. There is no waiting list for zones two and three—permits for these zones may be purchased directly from Parking Operations.
You will be notified by email when you are eligible to purchase a CH permit. Parking permits are not transferable.
The CH parking zones are:
- Zone One (CH1) - Forest, Read, Spruce Hall, Willkie, Mason Hall
- Zone Two (CH2) - 3rd & Union, University East Apartments
- Zone Three (CH3) - BBHN, Campus View, Evermann/Redbud Hill, Tulip Tree
- Zone Five (CH5) - Ashton, Eigenmann, Teter, Union Street Center, Wright
- Zone Six (CH6) - Briscoe, Foster, McNutt
- Zone Seven (CH7) - Collins: Hillcrest
- City Zone 7 - Collins: Cravens, Edmondson, Smith
Temporary and replacement permits for residence halls and apartments are available from Parking Operations.
Add your name to the waiting list
To add your name to the waiting list, visit the Residence Hall Parking page on One.IU.
For more information about Campus Housing permits, contact:
Office of Parking Operations
Guest parking at residence halls
If you live in a residence hall or in an on-campus apartment and have a guest who needs to park, you may purchase a visitor parking permit at the Parking Operations office.
In addition, metered parking is available at the residence halls and apartments for short-term visitors.
What are my payment options?
Both undergraduates and graduate students may pay for a permit with a credit card, cash, or check.
Additionally, charges over $5.00 may be billed to your bursar account. You are responsible for monitoring your bursar account to ensure the parking permit is being billed to the account properly.