Indiana state laws governing the movement, operation, and parking of motor vehicles apply on university property. The Office of the Dean of Students has jurisdiction over student operation of motor vehicles.
Indiana Code (IC) 21-39-5-2
The Board of Trustees of a state educational institution may regulate the traffic of the following on all real property owned, used, occupied, or controlled by the state educational institution:
- Motor vehicles
- Other vehicles
Indiana Code (IC) 21-39-5-3
Regulations adopted by the Board of Trustees of a state educational institution that are applicable to traffic and parking may include the following provisions:
- Provisions governing the registration, speed, operation, and parking; and the times, places, and manner of use of motor vehicles, bicycles, and other vehicles.
- Provisions prescribing penalties for the violation of regulations. Penalties may include the following:
- Imposition of reasonable charges
- Removal and impounding (at the expense of the violator) of vehicles that are operated or parked in violation of regulations
- Denial of permission to operate vehicles on the property of the state educational institution