If you're an IU Bloomington employee who lives outside Monroe County, consider participating in a vanpool commute option. Vanpools with 5–15 members will receive a van or SUV for a shared monthly fee, and IU Bloomington provides free parking and special-use permits for all vanpool members.
Vanpool Informational Meetings
Learn more about vanpool at Indiana University—a money-saving, sustainable commuter option with user perks for out-of-county staff.
Attend our info sessions this month and meet colleagues who also want to ease their commute to campus.
- Tuesday, February 19, Wells Library 043, 12p–1p*
or attend via livestream at https://iu.zoom.us/j/940324533
- Tuesday, February 19, Wells Library 043, 2p–3p
or attend via livestream at https://iu.zoom.us/j/123023181
- Thursday, February 21, Wells Library 043, 12p–1p*
or attend via livestream at https://iu.zoom.us/j/945723776
- Thursday, February 21, Wells Library 043, 2p–3p
or attend via livestream at https://iu.zoom.us/j/441371828
- Wednesday, February 27, CIB Wrubel, 12p–1p*
or attend via livestream at https://iu.zoom.us/j/445370367
* Pizza and beverages provided.
We encourage residents of Marion County to attend the 12 noon–1 p.m. meetings on Feb. 19 and Feb. 21, as these will be focused on connecting Marion County commuters. Anyone is free to attend any session, regardless of county residency.
RSVP at least 24 hours in advance to the meeting you plan to attend and denote in-person or video conference.
For questions contact 812-855-8143.
Why should I join a vanpool?
A vanpool can be a convenient, cost saving, and economically friendly option for IU employees who live outside Monroe County and would like to commute with others who work at IU Bloomington.
Participants in the vanpool program enjoy the following benefits:
Free Reserved EM-P parking permit
If your vanpool has five or more IU Bloomington employees, Parking operations will provide one free Reserved EM-P permit with a reserved parking space in most any lot or garage of your choice.
Each vanpool member receives 10 one-day parking permits per year.
Individual evening permits
Each member will receive an evening permit, which is valid from 5 p.m.–7 a.m. in any non-24-hour EM-P, EM-S, or ST space (including parking garages).
|Home||Drive Alone*||15 Passenger Vanpool**||12 Passenger Vanpool**||7 Passenger Vanpool**|
|* Assumes EM-S permit, $3 per gallon fuel cost, and 25 mpg.|
|** These costs are estimates. Actual cost may vary depending on travel distance and number of people in your vanpool.|
Environmentally friendly commute option
Instead of several cars, there's just one van (provided by Enterprise). By reducing the number of vehicles on the road, the vehicle emissions are significantly reduced, thus aiding in improving overall air quality.
How do I join the vanpool program?
Receive assistance in all aspects of organizing new vanpools, including coordinating new vanpool groups, and determining the pick-up and drop-off locations, schedule, and route.
To get started:
- Contact the Transportation Demand Management office at email@example.com to connect with our vanpool program experts.
- Each vanpool requires an organizer/coordinator to get started.
- Once you have enough people to create a vanpool, you must select a primary driver/organizer and at least one backup driver.
- Vanpool members share the monthly lease fee for the van and fuel costs. The lease fee includes all costs associated with the vehicle, including insurance, routine maintenance, repairs, and emergency roadside assistance.
Live in the Indianapolis area?
Find out about a special vanpool program for those who live in Marion County or the eight surrounding counties.