IU-Bloomington Electric Vehicle Charging
Parking for Electric Vehicles at IU
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations are now available on campus for use by faculty, staff, students, and visitors based upon the following guidelines:
- Charging your EV at Indiana University is a privilege and is available on a first-come-first served basis. We do not guarantee that a charging station will be available for participants' use.
- In order to use Indiana University's EV charging stations, you must purchase an 'EV hangtag' (EVC) permit from the Office of Parking Operations in addition to your parking permit (e.g. EM-S, EM-P, etc.). You must display the EV hangtag in addition to the valid IU permit for the appropriate zone during the hours of enforcement 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.).
- Faculty and staff may purchase an EVC permit for an additional cost of $36 per year/$3 per month.
- Visitors may purchase an EVC permit along with a daily visitor permit for a total of $11.00 per day.
Note: The "EV hangtag" fee is required because government property - i.e.,the electricity - cannot be provided at no cost for personal use by a state-funded agency.
- Parking in electrical charging station stalls is restricted to vehicles plugged in for charging.
- During the hours of enforcement (7 a.m. - 10 p.m.), charging will be limited to 4 hours. Citations will be issued to vehicles remaining parked beyond the 4-hour time limit.
- The IU EVC permit may be revoked after 5 "failure to move" citations are issued.
- Charging of electric vehicles is limited to charging station stalls only.
- Electric vehicle charging station stalls may be closed for maintenance, construction, and special event parking.
- The University assumes no responsibility or liability for damage to vehicles using the electrical charging stations.
- The EV Charger program is a pilot, and the policy and fees could be subject to change in the future.
Etiquette for Shared/Limited Equipment
- Don't charge if you don't need to. Leave the spot free for another EV driver that might really need the charge.
- Only occupy a charging spot while your car is being charged. When the charging session is completed, unplug and move your car.
- If an internal combustion vehicle is parked in an EV only space, contact IU Parking Enforcement at 812.855.9849.
- Wind the cord neatly and place it back on the charger or where no one can trip on it.