We've got your back
Emergency Ride Home (ERH) is a program that offers IU employees and commuters free taxi rides home in the event of a personal emergency.
Emergency Ride Home is available when:
- You or an immediate family member gets sick, or has a severe emergency
- Your carpool driver has to unexpectedly leave work early or stay late
- You must work unscheduled hours
- Your carpool vehicle experiences mechanical problems
To qualify for an Emergency Ride Home, you must:
- Be an IU employee enrolled in the carpool or vanpool program
- Have shared a ride to work on the day the ride is needed
How does it work?
Employees may use the ERH service three times per semester (up to six times per academic year). The program is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Parking Operations will pay the taxi fare for the first 50 miles of your trip home.
However, there are certain restrictions:
- You may share the ride with another passenger, but the other passenger must pay their own fare. If the other passenger is also eligible for the ERH program, they must obtain their own voucher and authorization number.
- You must pay for the driver's tip (customarily 10–15%) as well as additional miles exceeding the 50 mile limit.
How do I use the program?
First, you'll need to get authorization. Call the Office of Parking Operations at 812-855-9849 and provide your name and university ID number. Once the attendant determines that you are eligible, you will be assigned a voucher number. The attendant will then transfer you to a local cab company so that you can make pick-up arrangements.
After that, you'll need to print and complete your voucher. Just print and complete a taxicab voucher form. Be sure to include your university ID and authorization number. Give the form to the cab driver when they arrive.
If you need to make a stop on the way home, that's okay. You are permitted one side trip during your drive home, such as to fill a prescription or pick up a child from school.
Does your walk home or to work feel unsafe? Safety Escort provides free safe rides within Bloomington city limits for up to two IU students or employees.